Job Title: Dishwasher
Location: Calgary, AB
Shift: Morning, Night, Overnight
Wage: From $16 an hour
Sweet Loretta is looking to hire a part-time Dishwasher. The ideal candidate is excited to work and happy to be a part of our growing kitchen brigade. No previous experience is necessary but the candidate must be open to learn and understand the kitchen dynamic and flow. This position is an evening only position and the candidate must be able to assist in the nightly closing of the kitchen.
- Hourly wage: $16+/hr
- Overtime hours and overtime pay eligible
- Duty meals
- 25% Company-wide food & beverage discount & access to frequent local business discounts/specials
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure a clean and sanitary stock of dishes, utensils, glasses, pots/pans, and cooking equipment is consistently available for kitchen and food service.
- Sort, stack, and load dirty dishware into dish racks in an organized manner to maximize machine capacity and reduce breakage.
- Operate dishwashing equipment in a safe and controlled manner.
- Unload, stack, and sort dishware, distributing and storing in designated storage areas.
- Maintain ongoing communication with all departments affecting the kitchen.
- Aid kitchen staff in food prep.
- Ensure the highest level of hygiene and food safety is adhered to according to the restaurant’s standards.
- Ensure that the dishwashing area and equipment is always maintained at the highest level of cleanliness.
- Consistently conduct yourself in a professional and positive manner.
- Aid in maintaining department objectives and ensure they are met and exceeded.
- Strive to advance your knowledge and help raise standards within department by bringing new concepts, ideas, and suggestions forth.
- Perform other related ad-hoc duties as required.
- Communicate in a friendly manner with all staff.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED
- Minimal previous experience required, however, previous experience washing dishes in a restaurant or commercial setting is preferred.
- Strong organizational and time management skills required.
- Ability to maintain professionalism, control, and composure in difficult and stressful situations.
- Ability to fluently communicate in both written and verbal English.
- WHMIS Certification is required but can be obtained once hired.
- Food Safe Certification is required but can be obtained within 30 days of joining.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time and can lift items up to 50lbs.
- 18 years of age as availability to work past midnight is required.
What skills and qualities are important for a Dishwasher?
Being a dishwasher requires specific skills and qualities to excel in the role. Here are some important skills and qualities for a dishwasher:
- Physical Stamina: Dishwashing can be physically demanding, requiring standing for long periods and handling heavy trays or utensils. Having good physical stamina and endurance is important to keep up with the demands of the job.
- Time Management: Dishwashers often work in a fast-paced environment, needing to manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Effective time management skills help them keep up with the flow of dirty dishes, utensils, and kitchen equipment, ensuring a steady supply of clean items.
- Attention to Detail: Dishwashers must pay close attention to detail to ensure that all items are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized. They should be diligent in removing food residues, stains, and grease, and ensure that no dirty dishes or utensils are overlooked.
- Manual Dexterity: Excellent manual dexterity is crucial for handling delicate items, maneuvering through busy kitchen spaces, and operating dishwashing equipment efficiently. This includes skills like stacking dishes, loading and unloading trays, and safely handling sharp objects.
- Ability to Follow Instructions: Dishwashers need to follow instructions from kitchen staff or supervisors regarding specific cleaning procedures, handling of sensitive items, and organizational guidelines. Being able to understand and implement instructions accurately is essential.
While formal education or specific certifications may not be required for the role of a dishwasher, having the above skills and qualities can contribute to being a successful and valued member of the kitchen team.
What education and certification are required to become a Dishwasher?
Becoming a dishwasher typically does not require formal education or specific certifications. It is an entry-level position that often provides on-the-job training. However, certain education and certifications can be beneficial for enhancing job prospects and advancing in the culinary industry. Here are some relevant options:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent: While not always mandatory, having a high school diploma or its equivalent is generally preferred by employers. It demonstrates basic educational attainment and may improve job opportunities.
- Food Handler Certification: In some regions, obtaining a food handler certification is required by law for individuals working in food service positions. This certification ensures that individuals have a basic understanding of food safety practices, such as proper hygiene, temperature control, cross-contamination prevention, and allergen awareness.
- Culinary or Hospitality Education: Although not specifically required for a dishwasher role, completing a culinary or hospitality program can provide a strong foundation of knowledge and skills in the food service industry. These programs cover topics such as food preparation, sanitation, kitchen safety, and customer service.
- On-the-Job Training: Most dishwashing positions provide on-the-job training, where new hires learn specific procedures and techniques directly from experienced staff members. This training helps familiarize individuals with the kitchen environment, equipment usage, and cleanliness standards.
While formal education and certifications are not typically required to become a dishwasher, they can be beneficial for career advancement or transitioning to other roles within the culinary industry, such as line cook or prep cook positions. Additionally, demonstrating a willingness to learn, having a strong work ethic, and possessing a positive attitude are qualities that can greatly contribute to success in a dishwasher role.
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Online: Apply On Company WebSite
What is the work environment like for Dishwasher?
The work environment for a dishwasher can vary depending on the establishment, such as restaurants, hotels, catering companies, or institutional kitchens. Here are some general aspects of the work environment that dishwashers may experience:
- Kitchen Setting: Dishwashers primarily work in the kitchen area of food service establishments. This includes restaurant kitchens, banquet halls, cafeterias, or catering facilities. The kitchen environment can be busy, crowded, and fast-paced, especially during peak meal times.
- Fast-Paced and High-Pressure: Dishwashing is often fast-paced and can involve a high volume of dishes, utensils, and kitchen equipment. Dishwashers are expected to work efficiently and keep up with the demands of the kitchen, especially during busy periods.
- Physical Demands: The work of a dishwasher can be physically demanding. It involves standing for long periods, bending, lifting heavy trays, and repetitive motions. Good physical stamina and endurance are important to handle the physical demands of the job.
- Team Collaboration: Dishwashers are an integral part of the kitchen team. They work closely with chefs, cooks, servers, and other kitchen staff. Effective communication and teamwork skills are necessary to ensure smooth operations and support the overall functioning of the kitchen.
- Hot and Noisy Environment: The kitchen environment can be hot, humid, and noisy due to the presence of cooking equipment, steam, and multiple activities happening simultaneously. Dishwashers should be comfortable working in such conditions.