Job Title: Warehouse Associate
Location: Metal Pros in Ottawa, ON
Shift: Morning, Night, Overnight
Wage: $20.00-$25.00 per hour
At Metal Pros we do things differently. We are a small team who prides itself in having injected “young blood” in an otherwise dinosaur industry. We have innovated every aspect of our jobs resulting in 8 consecutive years of growth. Every team member can learn and be involved with all aspects of running the business, from warehouse to light fabrication, to sales, deliveries, data management/programming, website development/content management, procurement, and business administration.
As owners, we care about your future and want to make sure that your experience at Metal Pros can open doors to any future endeavor. This is a rigorous but fulfilling job for those who want to work hard and learn a great deal in a short period of time about what it takes to become successful. Our passion is to continuously improve ourselves and each other and our mission statement is to help individuals and small businesses succeed. We have over 9,000 happy customers located across Canada.
As a warehouse associate, you will be a dedicated team player with high attention to detail and organization skills to support our company’s warehouse operations. You will learn about our products and how to collaborate with the rest of the team by spending time in the warehouse, fulfilling orders, organizing, putting stock away and performing other activities helping you understand and practice all aspects of the business. It will provide you with a great balance of mental as well as physical work.
You will be using a measuring tape and caliper as your main tools, you will have good mathematical skills, and will be multitasking in a very fast paced yet organized environment.
Experience in the industry is not necessary, but a strong ability to learn quickly and continuously is essential. The faster you learn and the more you can contribute, the more beneficial you are to our team and the more you will get paid!
You will embrace technology, as technology is our greatest communicator and management tool.
Ultimately, what makes us unique at Metal Pros, is that everyone learns every aspect of the business. As you become proficient at working in the warehouse, you will spend time performing other activities such as deliveries, quoting and communicating with customers, ordering material, managing content on our website and more. We want to make sure that this opportunity will be fulfilling and will provide you with a good balance of mental as well as physical work.
- High School Diploma (MANDATORY) (Post-Secondary is a plus)
- Strong math & logic skills (MANDATORY)
- Strong organizational skills & attention to detail
- Strong oral & written communication
- Knowing how to use a tape measure (asset)
- Band saw or other light duty cutting equipment experience (asset)
- Forklift operating experience (asset)
- Computer skills/Proficient with computer software (Windows 10 included software & Microsoft Office) (asset)
- Able to lift around 50 pounds (heavy lifting is required sometimes)
- Drivers License for deliveries when needed (asset)
- Learning various types of metal
- Loading and unload trucks/flatbeds
- Operating a forklift (after attaining required certification)
- Inventory handling and control/organization
- Cutting material to specification using various machinery
- Preparing shipments
- Maintaining a clean and safe work environment
- Must wear personal protective equipment (eg. steel toe boots, gloves and safety glasses)
- Using computers, tablets, tape measure
- Good judgment in a variety of situations
- Willingness to continuously learn & be self-directed
- Positive attitude towards members on our team & workload
- Friendly communication with customers
- punctuality and dependability. Good attendance and starting work on time is an absolute must
Thanks for viewing our job description and we look forward to receiving your resume.
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Online: Apply On Company WebSite
What skills and qualities are important for a Warehouse Associate ?
A warehouse associate plays a crucial role in ensuring the smooth and efficient operations of a warehouse. To excel in this role, the following skills and qualities are important:
- Physical Stamina: Warehouse work often involves lifting, carrying, and moving heavy objects. Physical stamina is crucial to handle the demands of the job, including prolonged standing, bending, and repetitive motions.
- Attention to Detail: Warehouse associates need to pay close attention to detail to ensure accurate order fulfillment, proper inventory management, and precise documentation. Mistakes can result in inventory discrepancies and customer dissatisfaction.
- Organizational Skills: Effective organization is essential to maintain an orderly warehouse. Warehouse associates should be able to sort, label, and categorize items efficiently, ensuring that they are easy to locate when needed.
- Time Management: Prioritizing tasks, working efficiently, and meeting deadlines are important skills for warehouse associates. They should be able to manage their time effectively and complete tasks in a timely manner, especially when handling shipping and receiving processes.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Warehouse associates often work as part of a team. They need to collaborate effectively with colleagues, supervisors, and other departments to ensure smooth workflow and resolve any issues that may arise.
It’s important to note that the specific skills and qualities required may vary depending on the type of warehouse, industry, and the nature of the operations being conducted.
What education and certification are required to become a Warehouse Associate?
Becoming a warehouse associate typically does not require extensive formal education. However, having a high school diploma or equivalent is generally preferred by employers. Some employers may also consider candidates with a lower level of education if they possess relevant work experience or demonstrate the necessary skills and qualities for the role.
In terms of certifications, while they may not be universally required, certain certifications can enhance your employability and demonstrate your competence in warehouse operations. These certifications include:
- Forklift Operator Certification: Many warehouses utilize forklifts for material handling tasks. Obtaining a forklift operator certification demonstrates your proficiency in operating a forklift safely and efficiently.
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Certification: OSHA offers various certifications related to workplace safety, such as OSHA 10-hour or 30-hour General Industry certifications. These certifications provide knowledge of safety regulations and protocols, which is crucial in maintaining a safe work environment.
- Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT) Certification: If the warehouse deals with the storage or handling of hazardous materials, having a HAZMAT certification may be required. This certification ensures that you are trained to handle hazardous substances properly and follow the necessary safety procedures.
- First Aid and CPR Certification: While not specific to warehousing, having first aid and CPR certifications can be valuable in any workplace. These certifications demonstrate your ability to respond to medical emergencies effectively and provide initial assistance until professional help arrives.
It’s important to note that the specific requirements for education and certifications can vary depending on the employer, industry, and the specific responsibilities of the warehouse associate position. Therefore, it is advisable to research the requirements of the specific job postings and consult with potential employers to determine the desired qualifications.
What is the work environment like for Warehouse Associate ?
The work environment for a warehouse associate can vary depending on factors such as the type of warehouse, industry, and specific company practices. However, there are some common characteristics that are typically found in the work environment of a warehouse associate:
- Physical Setting: Warehouses are often large, open spaces with high ceilings and expansive storage areas. The work environment may involve exposure to various temperatures, depending on whether the warehouse is climate-controlled or not. Some warehouses may have loading docks for receiving and shipping operations.
- Fast-Paced and Active: Warehouses are dynamic environments with a fast-paced atmosphere. Warehouse associates are often engaged in physically demanding tasks such as loading and unloading shipments, moving inventory, and fulfilling orders. This requires being on your feet for extended periods and engaging in repetitive motions.
- Noise and Activity: Warehouses can be noisy due to the operation of machinery, equipment, and the movement of goods. Forklifts, pallet jacks, conveyor belts, and other equipment may contribute to the ambient noise level. Additionally, there may be a high level of activity with multiple workers performing tasks simultaneously.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Warehouse associates often work as part of a team. They collaborate with colleagues, supervisors, and other departments to ensure efficient operations. Communication is vital to coordinate tasks, resolve issues, and maintain a smooth workflow.
- Safety Emphasis: Warehouse work can involve potential safety hazards, such as heavy equipment, elevated platforms, and moving machinery. Safety protocols and procedures are typically emphasized to mitigate risks and ensure the well-being of employees. Personal protective equipment (PPE) may be required, such as steel-toed boots, high-visibility vests, and safety goggles.
It’s important to note that the work environment can vary significantly from one warehouse to another. It’s advisable to research the specific company or industry to gain a better understanding of the work environment and any unique factors associated with it.